Monday, April 7, 2008

The Journey Begins

About five months ago, one of my doctors prescribed a medication to help combat the terrible migraines I was having. I've had these migraines with increasing severity since age 18, which if you're counting was a long time ago. The medication was supposed to regulate my sleep patterns, addressing the possibility that lack of sleep was causing the headaches to escalate. Long story short, I slept ok for a couple of weeks, the migraines were less but not gone, and I gained 20 pounds in three weeks!

Here we are in April, 2008. I still have not lost the weight, which was added to the already 25 pounds I absolutely had to lose at the time. Now I'm up 45 pounds and obviously off the medication. In fact, due to continuous prayer by the prayer warriors at my church and an amazing Christian chiropractor, I have not had a disabling migraine in nearly four months.

So, one issue down and one to go. I have got to lose this weight. I will be doing weight watchers along with my beautiful mom and dad in law. They got an earlier start than me by about a month. Mom has lost 12 pounds and dad has lost 15. Encouraging results.

Since I don't really have money for weekly meetings and all that, and there's plenty of support on the web, I will be going at it from a different angle than them. I might not lose as much each time, but the biggest issue seems to be accountability, which is what the blog is for.

Ok, so I weighed in last week at 194.6. That was my starting point. I am allowed 25 flex points per day, plus an additional 35 per week. How am I doing so far?

Well, even with the dinner at Macayo's last night, where I ordered from the light menu but still ate a ton of chips and salsa, I weighed in this morning at 191.8. That's 2.8 pounds in a week!

My first goal is to lose 19 pounds, because that is my 10 percent. That will put me at 175.6. After that, I need to get to 155 to be in my "healthy weight" range, albeit at the very top of the range. My ultimate goal is 135. So, it's about 20 pounds at a time for a total of 60 pounds.

Wish me luck. Don't offer me ice cream. And pray that I can stay on track, on target, and not bite anyone's head off (starting with the chocolate Easter bunny still in the fridge...)

2 comments:

eyestodiefor73 said...

i want your will power! i need to loose about 15 lbs or more and ill be happy. let me in on your secrets!

Barbara D said...

It's all about calories. I do about 200 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 200 for a snack (=1 McD's ice cream cone. yum!), and a healthy dinner around 600 calories. Bulk up on fruits and veggies first, and keep it all low fat.

Our walks at the mall help, too, when we can get them in. =)